The no-bake Butterfinger pie recipe seems to be first posted by Barbara Bakes in April 2014. I’ve seen it doing rounds on Pinterest for an even longer time before that though. At first, I thought it was another of those recipes created solely to take advantage of the fact that ‘butterfingers’ are hugely popular around Halloween ( see also this amped up Rice Krispies treat ) – but there’s absolutely nothing scary about how easy this pie is to make. And, it’s absolutely delicious!
No-bake Butterfinger pudding and refrigerated
Yes, this easy no-bake Butterfinger pie needs to be kept in the refrigerator until serving time. It will stay creamy and delicious for at least a few days after making it. Don’t worry about having leftovers – because you won’t! I recommend ‘saving’ some whipped cream for decoration on top of your slice before serving though.
Let’s make no-bake Butterfinger pie
Ingredients (serve 6)
For the crust
-1 1/2 cup Oreo cookie crumbs
-1/4 cup butter, melted
For the filling –
3 oz. cream cheese at room temperature (light cream cheese works best in this recipe) 1 tsp vanilla extract or imitation vanilla essence or to taste – you can also use maple syrup for a yummy maple flavor instead of vanilla.
– 300g sweetened condensed milk, chilled in the can overnight so it is thick and spreadable like peanut butter. If you do not have time to chill it overnight then just be sure that your condensed milk is at room temperature before making your pie mixture. You don’t want to runny any baked Butterfinger pie filling.
– 4 cups (1 L) heavy cream, chilled
– 1 pct glaze for whipping cream (optional but it tastes amazing!) – you can also use ready-made whipped cream instead. If using ready-made then no need to chill the heavy cream first. – Butterfinger candy bars, chopped into small pieces or crushed into small chunks
1. To make the crust: Combine Oreo cookie crumbs and melted butter together in a medium bowl till moistened well. Press mixture onto bottom of 9″ springform pan or pie plate with removable bottom or simply line your pie plate with aluminium foil so you will be able to lift the pie out easily after it has up in the freezer before serving.
2. To make the filling: Beat cream cheese till smooth then add vanilla (or maple syrup) and sweetened condensed milk. Mix well till all combined then fold in 1 cup of the heavy cream – do not over mix the no-bake Butterfinger pie mixture.
3. Fold in 2 cups of chopped Butterfinger candy bars or crushed pieces into the no-bake Butterfinger pie mixture. You can use whole mini size Butterfingers, chopped-up regular size Butterfingers or half mini and half regular sized bars. The amount of candy bars you use is really to your own tastes so be generous when folding them in! Ensure there are small bits and chunks of broken-up Butterfinger candy bar incorporated into the no-bake Butterfinger pie filling mixture. Some larger chunks are okay but you don’t want big clumps of candy bar pieces in the no-bake Butterfinger pie mixture.
4. To assemble: Pour filling into Oreo crumb crust then spread the remaining 1 cup heavy cream on top. Refrigerate overnight or at least 6 hours before serving with additional whipped cream, chopped-up Butterfinger bars, and chocolate syrup!